суббота, 17 марта 2012 г.

Unite5. READING COMPREHENSION EXERCISES


Ex 4. Complete the following sentences:
a)  1. I can't possibly have done it alone. 2. How can I possibly  do it? 3. We couldn't possibly be in our bread-and-milk. 4. You can't possibly jump into the icy cold water. 5. How could we possibly meet a ghost? 6. Translate it without a dictionary if you possibly can.
b)  1. This textbook is meant for us to be very difficult 2. I wonder who may be meant for? 3. He is evidently meant to be an engineer. 4. She wasn't meant to be a girl of few ideas.
c)  1. That part of the house was nice if small. 2. The lecture was educational if difficult. 3. The meeting was useful if long.

Ex. 7. Translate the following sentences and word combinations into English:
A) 1. How can I possibly have done it if you refuse to help me? 2. Please, do the dishes. – I am afraid I cannot have possibly done it. 3. I cannot possibly keep them waiting indeed, they have a great other demands. 4. We cannot possibly leave right  now because of not all has been bought by me yet. 5. You   know after all that I cannot possibly do two things at the same time, wait a little. 
B)  a woman with of good taste, a man of action, a woman of temper, a man of courage, a man of feeling, a man of words, a woman of means, a woman of learn, a man of experience, a man of briefness/conciseness, a man of genius, a man of verbosity, a woman of few ideas, a man of property.

C)  1. There are many different/various exercises, intended for the spoken language skills to develop. 2. This house is not intended for living, an institution is located in it. 3. Here is the money for you to buy a new overcoat. This money is meant to be paid for your new overcoat. 4. They were meant to each other. 5. He was meant to be a pianist.7. The lesson was good if  bored. 8 The flat was comfortable if small.




Ex. 11.  Translate the following sentences into English using the phrases and word combinations:
1. I did would not like to talk with Bob as he had been in disgrace for his bad behaviour. 2. What is your trade for the most part of the your free time? 3. James complained that nobody spoke anything to him but he was actually up well posted on all the events. 4. The student read Pushkin in the original for the first time and the beauty of the poet’s verse attracted his attention. 5. Jane tried to imagine the man, which was  known to her only on his correspondence (under his letters). 6. When she had seen him, he did not justified her expectations. 7. First, he was rather old, and second, he was fussy and irritable. 8. I can detail write up everything happened. 9. At this time I stood a few steps away, nearby  from the place where there was an accident happened. 10. The windows of my room faces/gives on the court yard. 11. Who is that girl who looks towards us in our direction? 12. This house seems absolutely tiny in comparison with the new one. 13. I have rummaged all in searching the theatre ticket, where I could put it indeed? 14. In haste of departure nobody noticed that the old man had remained on the bridge.




Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий